Monday, November 05, 2007

Roll in the carts

I was thrilled to be asked to the communion devotional at UCC yesterday. I had been planning what I wanted to do for many months. Being the Sunday that we changed our clocks or "fall back" an hour just made it better.

Communion is a time of remembering and of reflection. I wanted to invite the gathered group to take a litte extra time to decipher the meanings of communion. I would have liked to have prepared four carts for the ocassion. Each would have been loaded with hot loaves of freshly baked bread. I would have left them in the back foyer to intice us deeply into an anticipatted moment. Also there would have been pitcher after pitcher of grape juice or some really fine wine still corked in its bottles (I'm not a partaker, but I would have loved to have had a "fine wine" (do they cork, wine?) In any case, instead of the guys coming to the front, they would have entered from the back ala' fight attendants and begun to serve each row with a steaming fresh loaf of bread and a freshly poured glass of fine wine.

Its not about the leaven in the bread, nor about the fermentation of the wine. Its about the time required to partake of these hugely significant representations of our Lord.

I wanted us to take time to ponder, like at a coffee shop sitting with a friend. talking about important, significant issues and putting the world and its trouble behind us.

I wanted to commune … not just partake.

No comments: