Monday, November 26, 2007

Shame on me

Sunday went well, I thought. I made it through class with only a small puddle forming beneath me. And my voice only cracked and faded a few times. I can only pray that my words were heard but now only time will tell if they are heeded.

It was odd. The whole thing. Last class. Same kids. Familiar surroundings. Regular time slot. A passionate voice sharing his last words with a group of teens he has called his own for over 13 years. I imagine that 90% plus of the kids in the room could not even remember the name of the youth minister who preceded me. I must have a tremendous influence on these kids. Some weren't even born when I arrived here. I changed their diapers. They've puked on my shoulder and peed in my lap. Surely they are listening to me! Its my last day, for heaven's sake. Right?!

I know this may sound really grandiose, but I'll risk it. I felt like I got a shot at feeling a little like Jesus for just a moment. I was trying with al my might to convince the gathered group to sign on to the "Great Adventure" and they looked at me like I was just a few fries short of a Happy Meal. I poured out the Gospel News that changes everything with what I felt was the eternal undying passion of God and they looked like I was reading yesterday's news in monotone.

Lord, I am soooooo sorry. I can't even begin to fathom what it must have been for you on those days. I'm such a wiener, I complain about everything.

On a lighter note; I watched Evan Almighty today (twice). Its much more a family movie than Bruce Almighty with its sexual innuendo and rawer humor. While still a stretch to absorb all the stuff in the flick, I was still struck with one unavoidable lesson. I can not imagine what life must have been like for Noah as he labored for years to build the Ark when it had never rained. The ridicule, and jeering must have been immense.

So many have done so much to provide me an easier path for my faith. May I find the strength to plow a path for those who might follow me on this journey.

1 comment:

Life in the Herman House said...

Hi Buddy! It's Shannon (Pardue) Herman... from Montgomery Church of Christ in Albuquerque...
Although I now live in the Dallas area, where my husband is the youth minister at Highland Oaks Church of Christ in Dallas.

I got the email that you are now at Broadway... Congratulations!

I hope that you are doing well, it is great to hear about you, and I'm glad to see you have a blog, too!

I still have the bible you gave to me after you baptized me! ;)

In Him
Shannon Herman