Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Everything must change

Brian McLaren has always challenged me with his writing. His latest book is no exception. Everything Must Change does not leave one in a comfortable, complacent, or traditional state of mind.

I told someone yesterday that I enjoy reading things that make me argue, think, wrestle, and reapproach the status quo. Its not that I enjoy it, but it is stimulating. It often leaves me troubled. At other times my reading allows me to re-assess my priorities.

McLaren quotes a young woman from Burundi (taught by American missionaries, the traditional ways of American church) to say, "I don't know if anyone else here sees it, but I do. I see it. Today is the first time, I see what Jesus meant by the Kingdom of God. I see that it's about changing the world, not just escaping it and retreating into our churches. If Jesus' message of the Kingdom of God is true. Everything must change."

McLaren said of the Kingdom of God, "... we described the Kingdom of God in terms of God's dreams com ing true for this earth, of God's justice and peace replacing earth's injustice and disharmony."

Lord, heal my heart of its hard-ness. Open my heart to your will for me on this earth.

No comments: