Monday, October 20, 2008

Home

I hear people talk about home. Most talk of obviously flawed places of a combination of peaceful familiarity and predictable conflict. It must be true. Houses filled with flawed people, must inherently be flawed.

But my earthly realities don't keep me from longing for the place of warmth, the place of peace, and the place of belonging to which my thoughts climb. For me, the idea of home brings to mind, not those broken or thwarted memories, but a magical place filled with joy, true joy. Heck, no! Its not real. But a guy can dream, can't he.

I'll dream that my kids always agree with me. Heck I'll believe they even think I'm smart, all the time. I'll believe there's always enough of everything I need and to spare. I'll dream that the church is the perfect embodiment of Jesus ... and when it isn't it falls to its knees.

Wow, some days the thought of heaven on the horizon sounds good to me. Take me home!

1 comment:

Rick said...

One of my favorite movies that really communicates the feeling of "home" is Apollo 13... it's right after they go around the dark side of the moon and see the Earth for the first time... powerful stuff.

Miss you man!